[TxMt] Re: Yosemite view effects

Thu Sep 18 08:37:48 UTC 2014

On 18 Sep 2014, at 10:04, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> […] I also got the idea that TextMate is using PSMTabBarControl,
> which MMTabBarView claims to be fairly compatible with. So I was
> hoping it would be an easy change. Although I can be completely wrong.

Ah, no. TextMate uses custom code which was supposed to be a re-usable
control with declarative look and behavior. But it is a failed
experiment (previously other things also used this control, but now only
the tab bar view is left, and it’s more complex than it need to be,
due to this attempt of generalization).

> This suggestion might have come a bit late, I don't know for how long
> you want to support the 10.9 look. I hope as long as 10.9 is
> supported. Compared to iTerm which has the Yosemite look on 10.9,
> which looks horrible.

Using the 10.10 look on 10.9 would not make sense, so yeah, will retain
the 10.9 look under 10.9.

I had a brief look at MMTabBarView but I think its 10.6 compatibility
requirement has made it not adopt a lot of new things that would make
the implementation of this control simpler (and more flexible). I’ll
spend some more time on this today and see where it takes us: Didn’t
really intend to do tab bar view now (as there is actual broken stuff
that needs fixing ;) ) but I’ve been wanting to get a bit more
experience with layer-backed views…