[TxMt] Re: Bug in enclose selection with multi-key characters using US-International keyboard layout

Thu Sep 18 07:48:04 UTC 2014

On 17 Sep 2014, at 13:11, Eduardo Francos wrote:

> When using the US-International keyboard layout, if you want to
> enclose selected text with quotes, single quotes or back-quotes by
> typing them, the originally selected text is deleted.

I have both the ISO and ANSI US/international keyboard, and I can type
all of the following quotes without using dead keys: ‘…’,
“…”, "…", '…', and `…`.

> A really insignificant bug, I know :p and I can certainly live with
> it, so this is mostly for information. It's good to know someone knows
> it's there :-)

I fear it would be rather complex to do a workaround for this because we
would need to delay overtyping a selection when we detect the user
starts a complex input sequence, and for most users I imagine this would
be undesired (not seeing the selection immediately overtyped).

I think it’d be fair to say that characters used for auto-pairing have
the same limitations as characters available for key equivalents, where
your issue also exist, i.e. you can’t bind a menu item to characters
that you cannot type with a single key sans modifiers.