[TxMt] Re: Yosemite and Latex

René Schwaiger sanssecours at f-m.fm
Tue Oct 28 14:20:45 UTC 2014

René Schwaiger wrote

> Kyle Johnson wrote
>> I am also experiencing the delay you describe upon doing a Typeset and
>> View in LaTeX after updating to Yosemite. I’m also experiencing the
>> crashes that were reported in another thread. I’m running TextMate 2 beta
>> 3 on an iMac with i7.
>>
>>> On Oct 23, 2014, at 7:54 PM, Brian Powell <

>> powellb@

>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I am running Beta3 with Yosemite and have issues with the latex bundle.
>>>
>>> First, I have it configured to use pdflatex and open in Skim while
>>> displaying the command output in a separate window.
>>>
>>> When I “Typeset and View” (CMD-R), it takes upwards of 5 seconds for
>>> anything to happen on a core i7 macbook pro (it initially brought up a
>>> dialog stating it was searching for Ruby 1.8, which took about 20-25
>>> secs). Once the command output window appears, everything happens as
>>> normal very quickly with the final document appearing in Skim.
>>>
>>> If I close Skim, close the command output window, then press CMD-R
>>> again, it still takes 4-5 seconds to begin before generating the
>>> document. If I close the command output window more than 2 two times,
>>> the next time I bring TextMate to the front, it will crash. It states
>>> that it is submitting the crash reports, but I can submit one of them to
>>> Allan directly if he desires (see main snippet below).
>>>
>>> Anyone else have problems with the latex bundle: slow response and
>>> crashing TextMate?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brian
>>>

>>> Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
>>>
>>> Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
>>> Exception Codes:       EXC_I386_GPFLT
>>>
>>> Application Specific Information:
>>> Key equivalent ‘@w’.
>>> Performing @selector(_close:) from sender _NSThemeCloseWidget
>>> 0x608000389240
>>>
>>> Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
> Hi Kyle and Brian,
>
> it seems that one basic source for the (perceived) slow typesetting
> process is the ruby code running `texmate`. As a (temporary) workaround
> you can just overwrite the text inside the “Typeset & View (PDF)” command
> with the following `bash` code:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env bash
> [[ -f "${TM_SUPPORT_PATH}/lib/bash_init.sh" ]] && .
> "${TM_SUPPORT_PATH}/lib/bash_init.sh"
>
> . "${TM_SUPPORT_PATH}/lib/webpreview.sh"
>
> html_header "Typeset & View (PDF)"
> version=`texMate.py version`
> filename=`basename "$TM_FILEPATH"`
> # Prepare output window
> html_header "Typesetting $filename" "$version"
> texMate.py latex 1

> BTW: At the end of last month I started to update `texmate` and
> `texparser`. In the moment I plan to use something like the code above to
> update “Typeset & View (PDF)”. I might also try to implement other
> strategies to make the typesetting code a little faster.

> [...]

Hi,

Brian mailed that the code I posted did not improve the startup time of
“Typeset & View (PDF)”. So here is an alternative version that indeed should
improve the run-time of the code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
[[ -f "${TM_SUPPORT_PATH}/lib/bash_init.sh" ]] && .
"${TM_SUPPORT_PATH}/lib/bash_init.sh"

# just to remind you of some useful environment variables
# see Help / Shell Variables for the full list
. "${TM_SUPPORT_PATH}/lib/webpreview.sh"

filename=`basename "$TM_FILEPATH"`
html_header "Typeset & View (PDF)" "$filename"
texMate.py latex 1
As an other workaround you can use “Watch document” instead of “Typeset &
View (PDF)”. This command will initially take a little longer to generate
the first version of the PDF. After the initial phase the update of the PDF
should be quite fast.

Kind regards,
  René