[TxMt] Re: DIALOG2 x-insert bug on MacOSX 10.7

Ronald Wampler rdwampler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 16:14:23 UTC 2014

wrote:

> On 20 Oct 2014, at 12:38, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:
>
>  I'm just testing my new bundle on MacOSX 10.7.5 with TM 2.0-beta-1. I'm
>> using for completion the DIALOG2 command x-insert, but after execution TM
>> crashes with this:
>> […]
>> objc_msgSend() selector name: retain
>> objc[1241]: garbage collection is OFF
>>
>> Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
>> 0   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00007fff864f7e90 objc_msgSend +
>> 16
>> 1   com.macromates.dialog2              0x000000011182d52b
>> insert_snippet(NSString*) + 254
>>

> If I symbolicate the report then it points to this line
> https://github.com/textmate/dialog/blob/master/Commands/
> Utilities/TextMate.mm#L103
>
>  On MacOSX 10.9.5 it works perfectly.
>>
>> Any hints?
>>

> This is most likely related to ARC on 10.7, the Dialog plug-in was updated
> to ARC last month: https://github.com/textmate/dialog/commit/
> fff3e32087524c020c774942f63ef0b16b5e2e7c
>
> Do you have a build environment on 10.7? If so, it would be nice if you
> could insert an NSLog with all the objects involved in that line and see if
> anything pops out, and if the log statements are shown, i.e. that it
> actually is this line causing the crash.
>
> ARC would cause objects involved in that line to be retained (I think),
> but that should also be safe, unless some of the objects are not actually
> objects, but I don’t see anything wrong there.

Just a guess. This looks odd (
https://github.com/textmate/dialog/blob/master/Commands/Utilities/TextMate.mm#L7)
the return type for `insertSnippetWithOptions:` is declared as id, though
the method returns void. Maybe ARC is calling retain expecting it to return
an object.  Unfortunately, I cannot test this neither.