[TxMt] Re: Auto Save and Versions

Tobias Jung mylists at ct-jung.de
Fri Oct 17 18:17:18 UTC 2014

Igor K wrote (Fri, 17 Oct 2014 18:33:14 +0300):

> Well I use Git myself a lot, but mostly for development.
>
> Sometimes though I’m working on some random text files, like articles
> or markdowns that are not being versioned and initing a git repository
> for each and every of them sounds like a really bad idea.

I see your point but when Allan says that supporting Apple's versioning "can be a bit of a straitjacket" I fear that it might have some disadvantages, so IF that is the case I'd prefer TextMate not to support it.

Just like you, I use TextMate on a lot of "non-development" files that aren't located in a git repository, so I use Michael Lehmkuhl's way to "Backup on save":
<http://wiki.macromates.com/Main/Howtos#BackupOnSave>

... well, I changed it a bit to include the original path in the backup path, i.e. when the file I'm working on is
/Users/tob/Documents/PlainText/Articles/SomeFile.txt
it'll be backuped as
/Users/tob/TextMate-Backups/20141017/Documents/PlainText/Articles/SomeFile.txt.201410117200614.tmbackup

Of course, this doesn't provide any kind of interface to browse those files so you have to rely on the Finder; but it works well for me.

Kind regards,
Tobias Jung