[TxMt] Re: Press and hold key for special characters (Umlauts)

Felix Grabowski fukurokujoe at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 23 19:31:04 UTC 2014

You can change the delay for press and hold by changing the key repeat values in system preferences, i got like no delay at all ;-p much faster to type ā ū ë plus you can alter the text that these methods input e.g. you can change press and hold of e to give you a selection of e-mail addresses or other e like symbols e.g. ℰ (can be done manually or with ukulele i think). key repeat itself is useless aaaaaaaaaa should be typed manually or via some editor command like vim/emacs do it e.g. <C-o>8ia<Esc>  though i don’t know whether TextMate 2 has an equivalent to that.
Not having press and hold forces the user to unnecessarily search for an alternative even though a feature which is consistent (or should be) throughout the OS already exists. The method “a is far more annoying than a delay would ever be especially if you type lots of german or other foreign Text. For example on a german keyboard typing “a is a really bad shortcut since one has to press two keys for the “ alone (⇧ + 2 not a nice shortcut for any hand) plus the letter a itself so overall 3 keys where two keys are hand breaking ;-p.