[TxMt] Re: a small delightful feature has gone missing, I think

Wed Nov 19 11:43:34 UTC 2014

On 18 Nov 2014, at 23:01, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> IIRC it used to be that when you said File > New what you got was a
> file with the same extension as the currently selected file (e.g. in
> the project navigator). Now, however, what you get is always a ".txt"
> file. I wonder if that feature was just something I dreamed and, if
> not, whether it might return; it was mighty convenient. m.

I think you dreamt it up. It’s not entirely clear where the file type
should be taken from (on ⌘N) nor if this is always desired (that it
uses whatever file type it can grab from existing window). But I’m
open for making it smarter than now.

As George mentioned, it is possible to set the default file type for new
files. Unless you want to change it for different folders, I recommend
setting it via Preferences → Files instead of .tm_properties: This is
just because everything set via the UI we can better control and it’s
easier for a user to later discover what the value is set to.