[TxMt] Re: Recent change to the SVN commit pane

Ronald Wampler rdwampler at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 17:27:26 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Jonathan Monahan <jonathan at monahan.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>     I've been a Textmate user for a long time but I'm new here on the list.
> Recently the SVN commit pane changed from a dialog to a modal pane. I sent a
> message to feedback but was advised that I would be better raising it as a
> discussion here. I cannot find a previous thread that explains the design
> decision for the change.

See http://lists.macromates.com/textmate-dev/2014-July/014989.html and
https://github.com/textmate/textmate/pull/1249 for previous
discussions.

> I tend to open a full diff before starting the commit so that I can review
> my changes and write the commit message accordingly.  Now I have to remember
> to double-click the tab of the diff file to move it to a separate window
> because the modality stops me from accessing the tabs.  I also cannot browse
> the actual code on the tabs.

Maybe we could change the SVN bundle to open full diffs in a new
window?  It's worth mentioning that if you cancel the commit (to
browse the code), the message is saved in the "Previous Commit
Messages" drop down, so when you open it again you can pick up where
you were.

> I presume that the modality change is to stop a novice from continuing to
> edit files before hitting Commit and therefore not necessarily committing
> everything?  (I don't consider myself a novice).  :-)

In short, the intention was mainly to prevent losing track of the
commit dialog and having multiple commit windows open. There was a
minor aesthetic reason too, since having buttons in the bottom bar
looked "ugly" with a textured window.

I'm open to suggestions, though.