[TxMt] Re: Duplicate textmate windows of same file.

Mon May 19 00:38:05 UTC 2014

On 16 May 2014, at 22:15, Geoff Vallis wrote:

> I use textmate a lot for latex, with skim as the PDF viewer, and I
> have set it up so that I can sync between skim and textmate. However,
> sometimes when I shift-command-click on a skim window, in order to go
> to the corresponding place in the textmate window, textmate opens a
> new window of the source file. So I then have two windows of the same
> source file open in textmate. When I change one window it instantly
> changes the other, so they remain in sync. This is a useful feature
> sometimes, but not all the time. So I have two questions.
>
> 1. How can I stop this happening when using skim, so that focus just
> goes to the already-open textmate window?

It shouldn’t happen in the first place.

How often does it happen? Like most of the time, one in ten, one in
hundred? Is any symbolic links involved? Are the files version
controlled (specifically git) and if so, do you use features like stash
and rebase?

I am aware that when using git, git will often rewrite a file with a new
inode, which can cause TextMate to see the newly written file as
different from the old one. But in this case, the files do not act as
synced in TextMate (as TextMate thinks they are different files).

> 2. How can I deliberately open two textmate windows of the same file?
> […]

For now, this isn’t a supported feature. While it can (based on your
email) happen, it is not something I have tested, so there might be code
in TextMate that can’t properly deal with this (e.g. properly updating
caret/selection in all open windows when using undo/redo, etc.).