[TxMt] Re: Search / Replace dialog on untitled document

Sat May 3 01:38:53 UTC 2014

On 3 May 2014, at 6:13, Carpii UK wrote:

> I open an untitled document, paste some text in, and then bring up the
> search/replace dialog
> I notice that it always defaults to searching (and replacing) my
> entire
> home directory.

This is when you bring up Edit → Find → Find in Project…
(⇧⌘F).

For a document search dialog use Edit → Find → Find… (⌘F).

> I really think 'Current Document' would be a much better default, for
> safety.
>
> Also for performance reasons, if you run a regular expression search
> and
> then realise its searching your entire home directory, the search
> tends to
> beachball TM for a good while, and cant be cancelled easily

What is “a good while”? Seconds? Tens of seconds? Minutes?

I do not see issues here with folder searching causing beachball and I
can abort it instantly, either closing the window (⌘W) or clicking the
stop button to the left of the status text.

You mention regular expression search, so presumably you’re not seeing
it with regular search? Is it specific regular expressions (as the
patterns have varying running time with known pathetic cases)?