[TxMt] Re: Problem of Representations of Special Chars in a Bidirectional Text

Reza Mohammadi reza at teeleh.ir
Tue Mar 11 14:17:54 UTC 2014

> Perhaps some of the invisible spaces should just be rendered as-is
> (without a substitution), I translated them to visible code points only
> because invisible characters have a tendency to cause hard to diagnose
> problems for end users, but this might be limited to non-breaking space,
> which can easily be typed by accident without noticing.

That would be great. I suggest to show those invisible characters when
"View > Show Invisible Characters" is activated. Although in the current
behaviour of that feature, the original text remains untouched. But if you
include `SpaceCharacters` in "Invisible Characters", then showing them needs
shifting of parts of the original texts to fit the representor of the
invisible characters in place of those zero-widths chars. I guess this is
not
a big problem because those characters are not so common in usual texts, and
when they are there, and the user wants to see "Invisible Characters", I
guess
he wants to see them even if the texts are shifted.

Other Invisible characters I suggest to be shown in "Show Invisible
Characters"
mode:
 * Left-to-right mark (U+200E)
 * Right-to-left mark (U+200F)