[TxMt] Re: feature request: do not share system Find clipboard

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Wed Jan 15 17:41:44 UTC 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 12:25 PM, Jason Smith <jason at ncpod.org> wrote:

> This is the standard behavior in all major (if not all) apps I use. I'd go so far as to consider it standard OS X behavior.

It is vile standard OS X behavior. It was never right to change the current search term in other apps merely because I happened to switch away and do a different search in a different app. I remember very well when this behavior first appeared. I hated it then and I hate it now.

And it's only getting worse. A google search in the Safari URL field is read back into all your Find dialogs, for heaven's sake.

> TextMate 2 does it right IMO, offering a scroll back of prior searches, but integrating with the OS.

I'm suggesting only that it could be righter and more helpful. Let TextMate lead the way here. I'm not asking that this feature _be_ turned off, only that I be given a way to _turn_ it off at will.

Bear in mind the use case. I'm searching for different things in a lot of apps as I try to write this bundle. The search in TextMate is to test regex expressions. Having those constantly being wiped out because I searched for "lookahead" in the Oniguruma web page (or whatever) is maddening and is slowing me way down.

Yes, I *can* restore the lost regex from the list. But another way of looking at it is that all my searches in other applications are also infecting that list!

I'm not the only one, surely. See Lachlan Hunt's comment at http://blog.macromates.com/2005/the-shared-find-clipboard/.

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, http://www.apeth.net/matt/