[TxMt] Re: Why does TextMate need an Avian and a TextMate folder in Library/Application Support

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Fri Jan 10 19:25:40 UTC 2014

> On 8 Jan 2014, at 7:50, Matt Neuburg wrote:
>
>> But that's the wrong answer. They need to continue to avoid conflicts. For example, the third-party AsciiDoc bundle is very broken under TextMate 2. I don't know why and I don't have much time (or ability) to figure it out […]
>
> The goal is to be backwards compatible¹. So if the AsciiDoc bundle is broken with TextMate 2 then it sounds like there is an issue with TextMate 2.
>
> Can you give an example of how it is broken?

No, it's too complicated to explain. :) I *think* it has something to do with the way the AsciiDoc bundle is dependent on the Markdown bundle, which has greatly changed. I think I am going to have to rewrite the entire bundle from scratch, building it from the ground up. But this is going to take a long time, as I didn't write the original bundle, and writing bundles is complicated, and I've never done it before (and the documentation, especially for TextMate 2 bundles, is not all that it could be).

However, let's stick to the point. Of course you can do whatever you like, but I *beg* you to consider *not* ultimately merging TextMate 1 and TextMate 2 application support folders. The extent to which TextMate 2 uses TextMate 1's application support is _already_ somewhat disastrous for me. More important, people may have good reasons to keep using TextMate 1 side by side with TextMate 2, and to use different bundles in TextMate 1 than they use in TextMate 2.

Remember, I can always make them use the same bundle by using a symlink. But if you force-merge the two application support folders, then I can't separate them. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 7! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920031017.do