[TxMt] Re: how to change name of tmLanguage file

Wed Feb 12 05:50:36 UTC 2014

On 12 Feb 2014, at 12:34, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> […] Therefore I am having those version control issues _now_. Well,
> it would have been better to give me those issues before I had
> actually written any of the grammar

The issue I refer to is that it is not at all uncommon that we rename
bundle items. If we do that, and TextMate changes names on disk, we have
to manually tell the VCS about the rename, and the history of the item
gets harder to extract. This is why we decided to newer let TM rename
files on disk.

Most users do not care about the names on disk (they are not visible),
bundle authors (using VC) would be bothered if TM would rename files on
disk. Yes, you have to do some extra work before publishing a bundle,
but even if TM had given you perfect names, you would still have to dig
into the bundle to initialize the repository…

> […] there would have been _no problem at all_ if TextMate had just
> behaved in a sensible way

The problem is that we cannot know, unless TextMate has code for all
potential version control systems in existance now and the future.