[TxMt] Re: Find in Project... going into la-la land over binaries

Mon Oct 28 21:39:56 UTC 2013

On 28 Oct 2013, at 21:56, Jason McC. Smith wrote:

> I don't recall this being an issue before, but it seems that the
> underlying
> search (IIRC it uses ack?) is

It does not use ack.

> no longer ignoring binaries as of build 9491.

Initially it ignored files that were not in UTF-8. It has been a while
since that limitation was lifted.

In the most recent builds it tries to figure out what the encoding is of
your non-UTF-8 files.

> This is causing the dratted beachball on every search I do in my
> project,

The analysis (for encoding) might cause the search to be slower (it
would only be done for non-UTF-8 files).

But it generally should not lead to a beachball, unless you get a lot of
results, because the results list is updated on the main (UI) thread.

> as well as severely polluting the results.

Do the binary files have a special extension? If so, it would probably
make the most sense to add that to the glob in Preferences → Projects
→ Non-text files. That would also exclude them from the “Go to
File” list and should not open them as text, if double-clicked in the
file browser.

> The binary is accessed via a symbolic link, if that matters.

Not beyond that disabling “follow symbolic links” in the gear menu
of the find window would be another workaround (but maybe you do want
them followed).