[TxMt] Re: adding a file icon

Fri Nov 29 11:35:57 UTC 2013

On 29 Nov 2013, at 1:26, Yvon Thoraval wrote:

> I've added some lines in the Info.plist of TextMate 2, the Icon file
> into
> the Resources directory but nothing change […]

Adding icon plus proper Info.plist entries should do it. Though you may
need to “touch” TextMate.app, relaunch Finder, or similiar, to get
the system to pick up the change. Also, you may want to run
“codesign” on TextMate.app to give it a valid signature after your
changes.

> Then, what is the correct way to add a file icon into TextMate 2 ?

As of such, this isn’t supported. Adding stuff to TextMate.app will be
lost after an update and it breaks the signature.

Apple doesn’t provide a system for dealing with this in a way that
supports TextMate’s distributed approach to file type support.

> Also, using applescript, i've found the identifier for *.dart files,
> it is
> part of archive file one terminating by -dart, strange...
> Before any trick the file icon was of a dmg one...

Indeed: com.apple.disk-image-dart

So that might also be your issue. I.e. after changing TextMate.app you
will also need to change one .dart document to “open in TextMate”
(to make it use the TextMate icon you added).

We can btw add a definition for .dart to the Info.plist we ship with
TextMate, that at least should give it the “blank” TextMate icon (if
you assign TextMate as app to open these files).

If you already have a proper declaration (UTI) for the .dart file, then
please provide it, so that I can add it.