[TxMt] Re: Projects in TM2: simple include/exclude directories

dipnlik dipnlik at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 12:27:53 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 2:52 AM, backspaces <owen at backspaces.net> wrote:

> First, each folder would need their own .tm_properties files.  This means if
> the same folder is in multiple projects, you have no exclude/include files
> capabilities for the multiple projects.  Each project would have to have the
> same contents, according to their folders' .tm_properties file.

  The folder being included in multiple projects does not require its
own .tm_properties file.
  Each project folder can have its own .tm_properties file with its
own configuration, but note that, as Allan said, symbolic links to
folders are currently not expanded.
  Not sure if this makes sense in your context but maybe you can try
changing your workflow and treating your shared folder as a project on
its own (having its own window open along other projects, etc).  I
have a couple projects that depend on other projects and I work this
way in order to have Go To File and searching capabilities in the
subprojects.

> Second, lets presume my project starts in my home directory.  Then I can
> have only one project there, specified by the .tm_properties file, which
> would have to include my multiple folders. Thus my home directory can be a
> project folder for only a single project.  (Yikes!)

  Just curious: why would you want your home folder to be a project
folder?  One usually wants the home folder to have one or more project
folders inside.  I have a folder for each project and all of them are
in a Developer folder in my home folder.

> Third, a work around would be to simply have a separate folder per project,
> containing symbolic links (ln -s) to the folders I want in my project.

  This is not a workaround, this is the expected way to handle projects.

> Sorry: one last question: I'd like my projects to be double-clickable to open
> them.  Can I do that?

  I know this can be done by using the Favorites feature.  From Mate's
drawer, you can navigate then right click a folder and add it to
favorites, and all your favorites are available from the heart icon in
the bottom right, or from File, Open Favorites... .

  Hope that helps,

--
:: dip