[TxMt] Re: github issues forum

meryn merynstol at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 13:47:46 UTC 2013

Thank you for addressing my comments so extensively. I do want to apologize
about my "snark" re the crossword puzzle, because this isn't anything close
to reality. You're clearly open to user feedback.

All in all, I can understand your decision to disable Github Issues.
Now I found the nabble front-end for this list, the mailing list form
bothers me less too.
I do wonder if people would be bothered by different conversation styles
naturally arising from using different media.

"dozens of issues were opened from people who couldn’t read^H^H^H^H build
TextMate… :) "

Perhaps making it just a little bit more difficult to give feedback is
attractive then. Also, by not using GitHub issues, you're more in control
over what channels you point people to. I.e. "For questions about A, use
list A, for questions about B, use list B", for questions about C, use IRC".
For me at least, the existence of the "Issues" tab removed the need to look
for general instructions re feedback at all, because the route was obvious
(i.e. click on the Issues tab). I guess It would help if people who'd be
forced to read a splash-screen with instructions before being able to post.

I also agree that a plain database of issues is not the best way to educate
users who want to give meaningful feedback. Effectively educating users for
this purpose is probably a science in its own right. Hand-crafted content
would generally work better I think, with the caveat that seriously outdated
content it may start to harm. Although in this case,  there would be good
incentive for a project owner or other stakeholders to update the content so
quality of feedback gets restored again.

I sincerely hope Github acts on your request for disabling submitting new
issues, while keeping the archive accessible. Just today I stumbled upon a
link to a TextMate GitHub issue in Google. It would be just sad if good
comments there are deleted. In general, I find I'm learning so much from
just random stumbles upon old discussions about various projects. Often on
blogs, sometimes on bug trackers.