[TxMt] Re: Upgrading to TM2

Sat Jun 22 14:29:40 UTC 2013

On Jun 22, 2013, at 7:09, backspaces <owen at backspaces.net> wrote:

> Question: What is the cleanest way to do this.  Issues:
> - Is it solid now, I can replace TM1?

It depends a bit on what you use it for. I think these are the main issues that may still have people prefer 1.x:

 1. Printing, presently no printing support (other than via the HTML output).
 2. Prose, long soft-wrapped paragraphs are lazily laid out and can cause an issue with restoring scroll position when switching tabs.
 3. Bundle editing (mainly themes and re-ordering menu items) is not as good as with the 1.x.
 4. Virtual/sparse projects is not supported (a project in 2.0 is a folder containing files).
 5. Live web-preview (you have to manually reload).

That said, a lot of people have upgraded, and while it is lacking in the areas mentioned above, there are a lot of other improvements that should make up for it. Unfortuantely documentation is also a bit lacking ATM, but there’s a series of blog posts mentioning some of the new stuff: http://blog.macromates.com/

> - Can the old TM1 co-exit w/ TM2?  I saw some posts with trouble but may be
> solved.

There are no issues running the two side-by-side.

TextMate 2.0 read bundles from ~/Library/Application Support/Avian specifically to allow keeping 1.x around.

> - Are bundles still fetched via svn? Are they compatible?  I'm currently
> running 1.5.11

In 2.0 you install bundles via Preferneces → Bundles. If you can’t find the bundle there, you can manually install it via double-click or putting it in ~/Library/Application Support/Avian/[Pristine Copy/]Bundles.

Bundles made for TextMate 1.x should all work with 2.0 except for templates, which are not supported.

> - How do I pay for the upgrade?

TextMate 2 is a free upgrade for people with a regular 1.x license. Starting with 2.0-alpha.9435 (the current “nightly build”) you can add your 1.x license in About → Registration, though presently users without a license have access to the same functionality as registered users.