[TxMt] Re: Do I have to pay for the final TM 2 license key? (Ken Snyder)

David Howden dhowden at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 06:33:26 UTC 2013

Hi Kafi,

Having used the TM LaTeX bundle to write my masters and PhD theses, and now
papers (and everything else!), I can say that it is a huge time saver.  I
would recommend that you also consider Sublime (I don't use it myself, but
it does have bundle compatibility with TM, and so the LaTeX bundle should
work nicely without too much effort).

When I was writing up my PhD I easily converted a handful of
"writing-up-stage PhD students" to TM (one guy even bought a Mac for it)
purely on the strength of the LaTeX bundle.  There are some old (i.e. for
TM1) screencasts that are a great place to start.  They explain the basic
functionality and give a feel for what's possible in the bundle:
http://macromates.com/screencasts (though note that the "Project" one has
changed a lot in TM2, but can easily be emulated using .tm_properties
files).  Be sure to checkout the project-wide auto-completions for
references (both for \cite and \ref), pdfsync and of course snippets for
creating sections/chapters/equations/references etc!

You're going to spend quite a while writing, and it won't be fun all the
time, so I would say that it is well worth "shopping around" before
settling on an editor :-).

Good luck!

David.