[TxMt] Re: Do I have to pay for the final TM 2 license key?

Dustin Wheeler mskblackbelt at me.com
Fri Jul 19 04:33:42 UTC 2013

Here's the line from the current growl page (http://growl.info/notetodevelopers):

"Also, Growl remains Open Source Software. This page explains how to build Growl from source."

I'm not much of a coder, so I won't check if that is truly the v2.0 source linked in the page, but they seem to have a very clear statement that they're remaining open source.

As for the VLC news, here's a link to the Ars Technical article (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/07/vlc-media-player-returns-to-the-ios-app-store-after-30-month-hiatus/). Apparently it's out in AU and NZ, should be on the US App Store tonight. Though it isn't the best example, as I believe it is a free download, even in the App Store. It's first appearance brought up the question of whether distribution via the App Store was valid for the open source license, but I guess that question was ironed out.

I guess my whole point is that "open source" doesn't mean zero payment or only available online, it just means that once you obtain the software, you may work with the source code as you please.

With that, I wish you fine people goodnight, and happy writing!

Dustin Wheeler
mskblackbelt at me.com

Sent from my iPad