[TxMt] Comment on Issue #699 File Browser default to right

dAlembert nablamalnabla at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 07:42:55 UTC 2013

Hi all,

in https://github.com/textmate/textmate/issues/699 it is currently discussed
whether or not the file browser should default to left or right position.

I appreciate that the position can easily be changed via preferences, so I
don't care too much for the preset default position -- but I would like to
point out one factor that led me to changing it back to 'left' after short
testing time.

It is argued that, with the file browser on the right hand side, the left
border of the text view will not move when the file browser is shown or
hidden (which I fully understand). However, when switching to full screen
mode, the text view will be stuck at the leftmost corner of the screen. With
a large widescreen display, I personally prefer to have the text editor (at
least approximately) centered on the screen, and with the file browser to
left, one could easily use the file browser width to achieve centering of
the main text view in full screen mode. So far, I have not found an option
to get the text away from the left border of the screen if the file browser
is on the right hand side.

Maybe I'm missing something, so please tell me should such an option exist.
I may well give the new default setting another try when it is actually
possible to have the text view centered on the screen also in full screen
mode.

Thanks,
dAlembert