[TxMt] Re: Disable display of <CR>

Mon Jan 14 22:03:47 UTC 2013

On Jan 11, 2013, at 11:29 AM, "Baldwin, Dave" <dave.baldwin at intel.com> wrote:

> I am browsing source code I don't own and a few of the files have CR
> characters and I just find them distracting.  It is not a big deal but it
> seems to me they should be treated as invisible characters as you don¹t
> normally see them. I may be missunderstanding what the intent is here.

A file should either consistently use LF for line endings, CRLF, or (Classic Mac) CR.

If a file is not consistent in its use of line endings, TextMate will treat LF as a line end marker and leave <CR> as “editable” characters.

Editable characters should be visible, and it could be you have code like:

    puts "Write to socket<CR><LF>"

Or maybe receive a patch that converts <LF> to <CR><LF> (maybe because the user who generated the patch was using Windows and forgot to ensure unix-style line endings).

In both cases you want to actually see the <CR> characters.