[TxMt] Re: >>>External Changes deleting parts of file

Fri Jan 4 19:01:12 UTC 2013

On Jan 4, 2013, at 1:24 AM, Greg <web at web.knobby.ws> wrote:

> I'm working on a Ruby script in TextMate 2 and all of a sudden I'm seeing the end of my files disappear and inserted midline is ">>>>>>> External Changes" and from there on everything is deleted. The only thing that I've knowingly changed is I've started to use Bookmarks. Therefore Cmd-F2 and shift-F2.
>
> Any ideas?

When a file is externally modified but also has local changes, TextMate will run ‘diff3’ to try and intelligently merge in the external changes. If there is a conflict, you would get a marker like the one you quote.

It sounds like something is not working as it should though.

Could it be that this file is externally modified (while you’re working with it)?

Are you regularly using Ruby → Run (⌘R) with these files?

Is this on a local HFS+ file system (as opposed to a network mounted drive, something controlled by a syncing service like DropBox)?