[TxMt] "Find in open files" not available + Associate file type

Rasmus Malver rasmus at malver.dk
Sun Dec 1 14:13:02 UTC 2013

Hi all,

When trying to search a folder of .nib-files, I ran into a few problems.
The files are nicely displayed in TextMate, but I cannot search the
contents of the files. Whilst trying to work around it, I ran into two
problems:

 1. *Find > In > Open Files not available*
    I opened the lot to use Find > In > Open Files, but this option is
    unavailable. Screenshot below. I tried opening .txt-files, and I
    tried creating new files, but it remains unavailable.

    Is this function available to anybody?

 2. *Add file-type to TextMate*
    To facilitate the opening of said files in Finder's context menu
    (open with), and to encourage TextMate to search their contents, I
    tried to associate them with TextMate. I failed.

    First I tried to add them via TextMate.app\Contents\Info.plist. This
    invalidated TextMate's code signing, and thus broke its connection
    with /Keychain Access/. Nor did it have the desired effect.

    Thus I reverted my actions, and tried to associate the file type via
    the bundle editor. I added "nib" to the Property List bundle, old
    style language grammar file types, reset the launch services
    database regarding TextMate and killed Finder.
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister
    -f /Applications/TextMate.app/;killall Finder;

    No luck. TextMate still does not appear in "open with", and TextMate
    still refuses to search their contents.

    Does anyone have a tip on how to achieve this?

By the way, to search the .nib-files, I renamed them to .txt, and chose
Find in Folder. That worked. But it's a long way round.

Thanks,
Rasmus Malver

TextMate Find in Open Files not available