[TxMt] Re: TextMate 1 vs 2

Jason McC. Smith jason at ncpod.org
Thu Sep 20 20:11:04 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Travis Dunn <tdunn13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can make an argument that the point of the filesystem is to organize files/projects and that's how most editors work.

And one can also argue that file-level organization and task-level
organization are two completely different things.  One is for storage
and conceptual partitioning, one is for workflow needs in the moment.
They are two completely different needs, and TM1 had a beautiful
solution for the second.  I weep for its loss.

> I've been a textmate user for a long time and I've never used "projects", that's not to say that I think it is an unused feature at all, or that some support for those features shouldn't be brought back, but I don't see it as a major feature, and i certainly don't see it as a huge disappointment.

Understood.  I do, and I'm not the only one.  It was such an insanely
simple thing to use, and had a tremendous amount of value for creating
dynamic workspaces on the fly, while allowing them to be saved for
later retrieval and/or reference.

> Why not suggest a few ideas for how to bring the feature back, or make it better instead of threatening to switch to another editor.

It's been tried on here, with little effect other than triggering a
chorus of "you're doing it wrong"... annoying.

Perhaps this time will be different?

> An ongoing post is already up here: http://wiki.macromates.com/Suggestions/ProjectManagementInTextMate2

Thanks for the pointer, I'll be adding/watching that.

> I don't think TM2 is a disappointment at all,

No, not the entirety of TM2 at *all*, just the removal of what was, to
me, for my needs, *the* killer feature.  The rest is a fantastic bit
of kit, and the reason I *haven't* bailed... the question is whether
it's enough to keep me from doing so, given my environmental
constraints.

And I'm not the only one.

> and everyone has busted ass working on it (at least since it went open source), so maybe keep the negative to a minimal and try to be helpful rather than hurtful

I don't see how reporting that what is seen by many as an advance has,
in fact, gutted the usefulness for some of us to the point of us
looking elsewhere is 'hurtful'.  There's nothing personal intended in
it.  We're bigger than that.  (Franky, the reason I have more or less
given up on seeing this re-appear is due to some amazingly arrogant
needs projects is simply not a 'serious programmer'...  It's been
positively eye-rolling to watch unfold.)

> - Mom

Is my laundry done yet?