[TxMt] Re: file browser behaviour in TM2

Travis Dunn tdunn13 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 04:04:25 UTC 2012

I don't think you guys are the only ones, but I do think you are the minority here, at least in wanting the original drawer back. The drawer is a UI element that (i think) makes more sense with smaller app windows. A code editor can be a variety of sizes and for me, my window is usually fullscreen. The drawer doesn't work particularly well for me if my window is fullscreen, the drawer also doesn't make a ton of sense with the transition to native fullscreen mode. You'd have a drawer element transitioning to a different element entirely when it went native fullscreen.

I don't think the new file browser is "stupid" at all, if anything it's more inline with how most other editors handle the problem (not saying that TextMate can't/shouldn't be unique), but in this case I think it was a good decision. The drawer was awkward in my opinion, it's pretty much the only reason I used Project Plus, cause the interface element felt strange.

That being said… maybe there is some way to have a preference for it or something… the resizing thing does seem to be annoying if you're expecting the old behavior.