[TxMt] Re: SVN scope, and a few other bits

Jonas Zimmermann listen at jonaszimmermann.de
Sun Sep 2 15:09:44 UTC 2012

On 1 Sep 2012, at 23:42, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2012, at 12:14 PM, Jonas Zimmermann <listen at jonaszimmermann.de> wrote:
>
>> [ deselecting files ]
>
> You toggle a file’s selection by holding command (⌘) and clicking the item.
>
> A useful key when wanting to diff/commit files under SCM is ⇧⌘Y, it shows a SCM status in the file browser. It even works to select files here, and then proceed to commit (only the selection).

OK, I've been using ⇧⌘Y for a while. This doesn't show added folders (for SVN) as uncommitted, however. So commits depending on those folders (such as added files within) fail.
Another thing that breaks a smooth SVN workflow: unsaved files (like the output from diff) confuse the SCM plugin, because no matter whether a file is selected in the file browser or not, one is greeted with the generic SCM context menu when pressing ⌘Y.
The same is true if I save that unsaved file in a different location. Even though the selection in the file browser stays the same, ⌘Y takes the location of the open file to decide what to do. That's quite confusing really as it makes it so much harder to predict what will happen if I press ⌘Y.

This is what I naïvely expect to happen (but there may be problems with this, too):
When files are selected in file browser: take them to determine what ⌘Y does. Warn if they don't belong to the same working copy.
If nothing is selected in file browser, base decision on root object in file browser.

>> Is it possible to detach the results view from the window?
>
> Preferences → Project → Command output → New window.

D'oh.

>> Can bundles in file browser get a triangle so they can be unfolded? Having to do the right-click, 'show package content'  thing is a bit cumbersome (especially since you then dive into the hierarchy).
>
> You can option-click the icon to “Show Package Contents”.

Right, that is a little bit easier. Still, I think copying the Finder's approach to hide things away in packages is not what I guess most users of TextMate would like, as I can imagine editing files inside bundles occurs quite frequently. Not being able to see inside the structure of two bundles in the same folder seems like an unnecessary impediment...

>> Find window: can the result view for 'find all' get horizontal scrolling and and option for line wraps? Right now I cannot see the results of my search for long lines.
>
> This is rather hard to implement, so unlikely going to happen anytime soon (unless someone submits a patch).

I see.

Jonas