[TxMt] Speedier LaTeX bundles issues

Hans Taktmann hans.taktmann at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 11:58:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

as you sure now there a couple of (forked) LaTeX bundles providing speedier TeXing than TM’s standard (bundled?) LaTeX bundle.

Alex Ross (lasersox)’ bundle was first, now there are Adam Strzelecki (nanoant)’s, as well as Paul Hagstrom’s. You can find them, respectively, here:

https://github.com/lasersox/latex.tmbundle
https://github.com/nanoant/LaTeX.tmbundle
https://github.com/paulhagstrom/LaTeX.tmbundle

Now, while they seem indeed to be significantly faster than the standard LaTeX bundle, with all three of them I run into the following (presumably very same) problems:

When there is a line with an  \input command in the tex-file, like:

"\input{praewide_TM}"

there shows up in the typesetting window an (apparently) error. The error message is not very verbose, just a line noting:

"praewide_TM.tex:1: \documentclass[a4paper]{".

("praewide_TM.tex" is the name of my preamble-file, which is supposed to get linked in; praewide_TM.tex contains, among other things, the line "\documentclass[a4paper]...". This works with TM’s LaTeX standard bundle as expected. It also works with TeXShop, for instance.)

I take it to be an error message (it nowhere says "error", or something to that effect), but if some such line shows up in the typesetting window, then there is no pdf output produced. If I manage to get rid of any of these lines noting some input, then tex’ing succeeds and a pdf output is indeed produced.

When trying to typeset a letter, where my preamble looks different and has the following line in it:

\usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}

the typesetting window will claim a problem with respect to this line:

"inputenc.sty:40: [...]"

When I comment out the \usepackage-line in the source, typesetting proceeds successfully (and VERY fast), though all special characters get omitted (to be able to use German umlaute like ä, etc is what the inputenc package should provide for).

So, is there a problem with the speedier LaTeX bundles as regards the preamble’s structure or content of the files to be tex’ed?

Sorry, I cannot really analyze or actually make sense of this behaviour, so I was hoping for some enlightment through the mailing-list.

Thanks for any hints about how to tackle this. I really would love to use the speedier bundles.

Best,
--Hans