[TxMt] limited support for undo history

enas textmate at alxp.gr
Wed Oct 3 11:24:54 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have a little feature request I would like to discuss about. I think I remember from a previous discussion that Allan prefers to have those kind of discussions on the mailing list rather than on github, so here I go.

One of the few things I appreciate when using such monstrosities as Eclipse is the support for local history. Of course, there is version control to achieve something similar, but sometimes, local history is just better (for example, the fact that it automatically records edit history, instead of relying on explicitly committing a change; and sometimes, it's just bad practice to commit tiny changes to a repository).

Of course, implementing such a thing for Textmate is a vast task. However, there is one use case that seems to cover most of my uses of local history in Eclipse and alike, which is the ability to easily revert to a clean state when I want to try something. I can imagine that this can be easily obtained in Textmate by having commands such as "set bookmark in undo history" and "undo to last bookmark in undo history". My workflow would be simply to set an undo history bookmark before I want to try a few risky changes, then easily revert those changes just by calling the undo to bookmark command. This would give me a simple way to avoid repetitive calls to undo, which can be tedious and risky (since it's not always obvious to see what you're undoing and there is the risk of undoing some steps too far).

Any thoughts?

enas