[TxMt] Xcode 4 Eats Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Down Arrow in Mountain Lion

Steve Canny (scanny) scanny at cisco.com
Sat Nov 10 01:31:30 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Just a quick report in hopes of helping someone else facing this problem:

Textmate binds Cmd-Opt-Ctrl DownArrow to scrollLineDown. I use this keystroke and it's counterpart for scrollLineUp frequently.

After upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion I started getting a system alert sound (beep, pop, funk, as set in System Prefs) when using this keystroke and no scrollLineDown action in TextMate.

Long story short is that Xcode 4 eats that keystroke even when it's not running.

Fix is to open XCode, open Preferences > Key Bindings, and set the key binding for 'Jump to Previous Counterpart' to something other than Ctrl-Cmd DownArrow. This causes the inferred key binding for 'Jump to Previous Counterpart in Assistant Editor' to change from Cmd-Opt-Ctrl DownArrow to Opt NewKeystroke.

For example, setting 'Jump to Previous Counterpart' to 'F19' causes 'Jump to Previous Counterpart in Assistant Editor' to change from Cmd-Opt-Ctrl DownArrow to Opt F19.

I needed to reboot before it took effect, but that ended up doing the trick :)

Might also work in Lion, I'm not sure what version of Xcode that shipped with.

Hope that's a help to someone in future :)

Best,
Steve