[TxMt] LaTeX bundle: More useful error messages

Bart Vandereycken bart.vandereycken at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 18:40:10 UTC 2012

Hi,

I was wondering whether it would be possible to include some more info when
latex complains about errors. The main point is that the line number that
latex gives you (and what is displayed in the Textmate error window) can
sometimes be way off, especially when you have a lot of code and the error
is many lines above this line.

For example, if I compile the following beamer document

-----
\documentclass{beamer}
\begin{document}
\begin{frame}

\unknown

\end{frame}
\end{document}
-----

then Textmate tells me

-----
Latex Error: ./test.tex:17 Undefined control sequence.
-----

which corresponds to "\end{frame} ". The error is obviously in line 12
because of the unkown command \unknown.

It is not hard to see that when you have a lot of complicated math,
tracking down a single typo can sometimes be very painful...

I realize that getting the exact line number for such an error is
difficult, but since the latex log already indicates that \unknown is
unknown,

-----
./test.tex:17: Undefined control sequence.
\beamer at doifinframe ...par b \par c \par \unknown
                                                  \par d \par e \end
{beamer...
l.17 \end{frame}
-----

it would make life a lot easier if this is visible in the log window of
Textmate too.

So, would it be possible to include, for example, these last two lines in
the Textmate error window too?