[TxMt] Re: Save as—Mountain Lion update

Greg web at web.knobby.ws
Thu Jun 14 17:20:16 UTC 2012

On Dec 21, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Fritz Anderson wrote:

> On 20 Dec 2011, at 2:55 PM, Rick DeNatale wrote:
>
>> Apple apps in Lion no longer have the old 'Save'  menu item  so for example  pre-Lion  the file menu in TextEdit had
>>
>>   Close   Cmd-W
>>   Save    Cmd-S
>>   Save As Shift-Cmd-S
>>
>> now in Lion it's:
>>
>>   Close                 Cmd-W
>>   Save A Version   Cmd-S
>>
>> So there's no way in TextEdit to save a replacement for the current file.
>
> Save As… has become Duplicate. Save a Copy As… has become Export.
>
> The only differences between Duplicate and Save As… are:
>
> 1) The original document stays open.
>
> 2) You aren't asked for a name and location for the new one until you explicitly save. If you want a new name right away, do a Save.
>
> I'm not asking you to like it, but the functionality you're missing is in fact there. The Macintosh has never fit the mental models of contemporary techies. The whole point of the platform is that users shouldn't be punished with data loss until they learn to think like the techies of their day.

Mountain Lion introduces :
Keyboard shortcut for Save As:
Use Command-Shift-Option-S to save a document using a different name and location.

Allan added Command-Shift-S back in for Lion. (Thank you.) But now looks like it should be mapped to Command-Shift-Option-S  to be consistent and not conflict with the following.

In Mountain Lion Command-Shift-S  will be Duplicate.

Apple - OS X Mountain Lion - See everything the new OS X can do.

At least Apple added back Save As, but screwed up the keyboard shortcuts in the process.