[TxMt] Deadkeys, auto-pairing, etc.

Andreas U Schmidhauser au at schmidhauser.us
Thu Jun 14 05:07:58 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

Small puzzle here, though the thing has been troubling me for a really long time…

Ancient Greek has a lot of accents ("diacritics") and the best way to input them is by means of deadkeys. One of the more common ways to do so is to have a keyboard that assigns four of the possible combinations to the square and curly brackets (i.e. "[, ], {, }"). An example: if I type "[", then hit the key "E", I'll obtain the character "ἔ" (U+1F14, i.e. an epsilon that has a smooth and an acute accent); if I do likewise with the key "A", I'll get "ἄ" (U+1F04); etc.

This works in *every* application – excepting TextMate, where the deadkeys on "[" and "{" are being immediately rendered as "[]" and "{}", respectively; on the closing brackets, everything works fine. (I tried this on both TM 1.5 and 2.0 [9090].)

First thing I did was of course delete/rename the file "KeyBindings.dict" in the Contents folder of TextMate.app. (I have my own very extensive Keybindings.dict file in my user account.) Then I went hunting among the Bundles and deactivated everything that looked like it may pose problem - but to no avail. In TextMate 1.5, I have also deactivated the option called "Auto-pair characters". (I have autopairing my KeyBindings.dict.)

What could I do to prevent TextMate from anticipating the result of my deadkey?

I'd happily provide more details if necessary. One detail I may add perhaps: the problem doesn't arise in the Find Box (command+F).

All best,
Andreas