[TxMt] Re: Problems with huge git commits

Patrick Polloni patrick.polloni at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 12:10:09 UTC 2012

On 31 Jan 2012, at 08:22, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 30/01/2012, at 23.58, Patrick Polloni wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to use Textmate2 with a big php project. I have made a huge commit in the git repository and while processing the commit Textmate starts to hang bringing the cpu at 80% and memory up to 1.25GB.
>> Looking at the Console this is what I've found […]
>
> The Git bundle produces a HTML diff of your commit shown with WebKit.
>
> My guess is that this HTML file simply becomes too big and that’s why TextMate (WebKit) hits the memory celling for what a 32 bit process is allowed to allocate.
>
> The Git bundle tends to be fairly clever about timeouts when generating HTML for various commands, but I guess not in this case.

I had the same thought. The problem seems to come out when the git bundle try to print in the "HTML output". The point is that there isn't a way to understand if the commit is already completed. Force quitting Textmate could bring to a messy situation.
This wasn't the first time I got this problem. After quitting Textmate I still find some file not committed, so it seems that is better to avoid too huge commits.