[TxMt] Re: TM2 tighter scripting integration (MacRuby, Lua?)

Martin Kühl martin.kuehl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:01:21 UTC 2012

> On 09/01/2012, at 17.58, Adam Strzelecki wrote:
>
>> I do not know if anyone asked you about that already, but was tighter
>> scripting integration via MacRuby (or Lua) ever considered for TM2?
>> […]
>
> Never know what to answer when people ask if X was considered: I have
> lots of thoughts on most issues, that probably counts as “having
> considered it” but is a rather useless answer.
>
> I see both downsides and upsides about tight scripting integration. It
> has to be done very carefully and really be thought through, not
> rushed or done ad hoc — I still think opening up TM for tight
> integration is too early — some of it also relates to internal data
> structures used in TM, e.g. ensuring good simple APIs can be provided
> that still provide good scalable performance etc.

For what it's worth, I like the fact that TM is missing any "tight"
integration. All commands are basically (more or less glorified)
executable scripts that get fed some input from TM and feed some output
back to TM for interpretation (i.e. filters), making TM the most UNIXy
editor available on the Mac.

And I consider that a plus, but then again I'm a bit weird :-)

Cheers,
Martin