[TxMt] Re: softWrap always on in Git commit messages

Adam Sharp adsharp at me.com
Mon Jan 16 05:11:33 UTC 2012

On 16/01/2012, at 2:06 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> [...]
>
> I’d suggest you remove these defaults from TextMate.app/…/Default.tmProperties and then try see if that helps.
>
> When there are issues with settings, it’s generally better to _remove_ settings than add new (at least as part of the troubleshooting), as it quickly becomes rather complex with the scoped settings, the local .tm_properties, the memorized file type settings (in user defaults), a.s.o.

Thanks for this advice. I've simplified my preferences and wrapping is working as expected now.

Also, I've managed to consistently reproduce the wrapping error:

1. Start editing a git commit (softWrap = true, wrapColumn = 72)
2. Type a commit message that's long enough to wrap
3. Set soft wrap to use window frame from the view menu
4. Turn of soft wrap

At this point, my commit message is not wrapping, as expected. However the commented out lines supplied by git still wrap to the window frame. There are now two different wrapping modes in the same document, and no soft wrap indicator displayed. If I abort the commit and begin again, my preferences are restored.

Attached is my current ~/.tm_properties file, for good measure. (My Default.tmProperties is unmodified.)