[TxMt] Re: couple of questions RE TM2

Phil Schumm pschumm at uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 3 23:40:36 UTC 2012

On Jan 3, 2012, at 3:49 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On 29/12/2011, at 07.45, Phil Schumm wrote:
>> 1) None of the bundle commands seem to work for me (e.g., TODO -> Show TODO List, Python -> Run Script, Mercurial -> Status, etc.) -- they all give the following error:
>>
>> /Users/pschumm/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Managed/Bundles/Bundle Support.tmbundle/Support/shared/lib/escape.rb:23:in `e_url': private method `gsub' called for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
>
> Seems like the e_url helper function is called with nil. It would be good to see a full stack trace for a specific command, so we can figure out what argument is given to the utility function.

Odd; I just updated to the latest debug build, and the problem seems to have vanished.  If it recurs, I'll post a stack trace.

>> 2) I can't seem to get the Wrap Column indicator line to show up […]
>
> Only drawn when soft wrap is enabled.

Ok, good to know it's not a problem on my end.  If you're interested in suggestions on this one, I'd love to see an option for drawing this when soft wrap is disabled too ;)

>> 3) The font rendering seems a bit odd, or at least not like it is in TM 1.5, Terminal, etc.
>
> Apple has half a dozen font rendering APIs and I honestly think they are backed by different glyph layout code — TM 1.x used ATSUI, 2.0 uses CoreText, most Cocoa applications use NSLayoutManager indirectly via NSTextView, Terminal I think uses neither of those, etc.

Understood -- thanks for the background.

>> In particular, I typically use Monaco 9 pt. with antialiasing turned off.  However, when I set TM2 this way, the letters are smaller than they are in an equivalent TM 1.5 or Terminal window and the interline spacing is much larger;
>
> I made the default interline spacing 1 or 2 pixels larger than what’s reported by the font, this was required for some non-Western scripts to not overlap. I do plan to make this delta configurable though (as it was in 1.x).

Great.

>> in addition, the letters do not appear to be uniformly spaced.
>
> I have noticed this myself and so far been unable to disable “sub-pixel positioning” of glyphs, but I have it on the list of issues.

Again, great to hear.

> As for your ghosting issues: you are likely using a theme with a transparent background which isn’t supported yet, although latest debug build (available by holding option when clicking Check Now) does have support for this.

You are exactly right; I just updated to the latest debug build, and the ghosting went away.  And I'm loving having my transparent background back!

Thanks so much Allan for the reply.  I'm still using 1.5 and 2.0 side-by-side, but increasingly spending more time in 2.0 and loving it.

-- Phil