[TxMt] Re: TM2 bug when file simultaneously edited by vim

Tue Jan 3 22:36:27 UTC 2012

On 30/12/2011, at 00.03, Reaves, Timothy wrote:

> It's possible that vim doesn't save a temporary file; rather, it renames the current file to the backup, and saves the new file as the original name.  If this is the case (some editors do this), then TM is reflecting the open inode more than the file by name.

Indeed this is the case and I think vim should change its behavior, ideally it would save to a temp. file and use exchangedata(2) or rename(2) to then replace the org. file — first solution would preserve the file’s inode (good), second would not, but it would still not confuse TextMate and other programs “watching a file” (since the file just got overwritten with a new one, rather than moved).