[TxMt] [TM2] Key repetition oddity and suggestion

Thomas Krajacic thomas.krajacic at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 12:08:32 UTC 2012

Lion introduces a new way of inserting accented characters by holding down the corresponding key.

-----------------------------
in TextEdit:
I hold 'a' and I get the menu shortly afterwards to chose among the accented versions.
If there are no accented variations for that letter, nothing happens (the letter is not repeated)

in Textmate:
If I hold down the 'a' key, it is repeated until I release the key.
If I hold down the 'd' key (or any other key without accented variations), nothing happens.
-----------------------------

This is a small quirk I guess. I have not tried how TM acts, if this behavior in Lion is switched off using:

	defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

as a restart is required afterwards and I am a lazy bum.

What I would prefer in Textmate (maybe others will agree?):

Holding a key pressed should result in the letter being inserted repeatedly.
Ideally this can be switched with a .tm_properties rule based on the scope or grammar.
(it might be nice to be able to type umlauts when writing a plain text file,
but more convenient to type '/*****' in a source file without repeatedly having to press the '*' key)

Maybe you can consider my suggestion.

Thx,
Thomas