[TxMt] Re: TM2: projects with scattered files?

Phil Schumm pschumm at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 3 19:35:47 UTC 2012

On Feb 3, 2012, at 5:54 AM, David Howden wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2012, at 6:14 PM, Jerry wrote:
>> The elimination of projects is certainly one of the most disconcerting aspects of TM2 and has been discussed before on the list, without any resolution. Using Favorites with aliases is not a suitable substitute for several reasons.
>

> Can you give the reasons?  They might be easy to get around using new features of TM2, or by adding new features to TM2 which don't rely on the project construct.

I haven't been following the discussion WRT this particular change very carefully, but I'm curious: a helpful technique when doing sysadmin work is to initialize a Mercurial (or Git) repository at the root of the filesystem (or, say, in /etc), and then to use the following .hgignore file:

    syntax: glob
    *

adding those config (or other) files you want to manage on an individual basis.  The result is very much like a TM1 project containing just selected files from across the boot volume.  When I first saw the introduction of Git/Hg-style configuration in TM2, I just assumed that this same technique would be possible by using the appropriate file filtering keys in .tm_properties.  If so, this would seem to replicate any missing functionality lost by dropping projects files.

Am I missing something here?

-- Phil