[TxMt] Re: TM2 feature request: show file encoding and line ending in status bar

dipnlik dipnlik at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 13:35:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Max Lein <realoreocookie at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 22.08.2012, at 21:00, textmate-request at lists.macromates.com wrote:
>
>> On Aug 14, 2012, at 5:47 AM, Yuan Jiang <sleetdrop at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> [?] I want Textmate to show current file's encoding in the status bar
>>
>> This one I don?t really like. Everybody should be using UTF-8 so for most users adding encoding to the status bar is IMO just adding noise.
> It's not about (your?) personal preference, it's about what you're confronted with in real-world usage.

  Maybe only show the encoding in the status bar if it's not UTF-8?

> Not everyone (you work with) uses UTF8, sometimes people you work with save files in the wrong encoding and you have trouble down the line with your project because of that.

  Isn't the output from the file command good enough?  If so, you can
use the bundle editor to create a simple command that runs file
"$TM_FILEPATH" and shows its output in a tooltip.  Oh, and add a nice
keyboard shortcut too :)

--
:: dip