[TxMt] Re: TextMate 2 at GitHub

Fri Aug 10 15:33:14 UTC 2012

On Aug 10, 2012, at 4:29 PM, Adam Strzelecki <ono at java.pl> wrote:

>>> […] will I be able to use future updates from the regular builds coming in via the Software Update in the TM2 preferences also under OS X 10.6.8 as before?
>>
>> Sorry, 10.6 has been dropped as well.
>
> Can you please give more details, what Lion only API does TM2 now use? ARC? Or it is just build constraint?

Presently, there is minimal 10.7 stuff used, but moving forward, we’ll start to use more (and drop workarounds for supporting older versions).

More than 90% of 2.0 users are on 10.7 or 10.8, so I don’t think there is any reason to spend time maintaining a 10.6 compatible version — time spent on that is time not spent on actual features/bugs (and 10.6 compatibility has a price in that it limits how much new API we can use, at least without clunky workarounds and multiple code paths where the developer only tests one, i.e. a source of bugs).