[TxMt] Re: Joomla Bundle?

Walter Lee Davis waltd at wdstudio.com
Fri Sep 23 12:47:27 UTC 2011

On Sep 23, 2011, at 7:56 AM, Phil wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Gildas Hamel <gweltaz at ucsc.edu> wrote:
>>  |>  I've been playing with the blogging bundle earlier on, got it working
>>  |>  with Wordpress.
>>  |>  But the Wordpress installation lacked a Markdown plugin, so it wasn't
>>  |>  all that smooth.
>>  |>
>> I use php markdown from
>> http://michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/
>> with Wordpress, which meets my needs.
>
> I suppose that would work well, :) but on that site, I'm not an admin,
> and they have a policy against adding markdown, as it created to much
> load or something ...

If that's the case, then they probably would accept raw HTML, since there aren't many other options in Joom-land. You could author in Markdown, then use the Multi-markdown bundle to copy rendered HTML from your source doc and paste that into Joomla!.

> But now I'm working on a new Joomla setup (where I am admin). :)

If you want to get rid of the "load", see about shadowing your content column with a rendered content column. That way you can store the Markdown in the content column, and cache the rendered HTML for repeat views. I haven't worked in Joomla! since version 1.5, so I may not know what I'm talking about here, but in many of the Rails-based markdown helpers, this is very much the done thing. You could also just rely on the normal Joomla! caching to take care of this for you. That's what I do on the one remaining Joomla! 1.5 site I manage.

Walter