[TxMt] Re: re membering files in projects

Dru Kepple dru at summitprojects.com
Fri Sep 16 15:56:23 UTC 2011

Sounds to me like you have a folder reference in your project (possibly you dragged the folder right onto the TM icon and created the project that way).  This is normal behavior for folder references, since they are simply an alternate view into the filesystem.  That is, you have your project folder, and TM has a reference to that, and any children of that folder are displayed based wholly on whether or not they exist on the filesystem, or if possibly they match the name pattern for hidden files.  In your case, you may be deleting the files from the project, but since all that is really saved with the project file is the top folder reference, those files will reappear next time as long as they exist on the filesystem.

Don't worry, you have a few options.

If you work primarily in just a few sub-folders of the project, you can drag just those folders into TM, and you'll get folder references for those folders.

If you really need to pick and choose your files, you can create a new project, then drag the files you need into the project drawer.  If you would like to still organize them into folders, you can create groups in the project that act like folders, but are merely for the organization of your project.  You can tell the difference between folder references and groups by their color: folders are blue, groups are yellow.

To make a group, right click in the drawer, in an empty space, and you should see "New Group" in the menu.  If you right click on a file or folder, you'll see "New Folder" instead, so click in an empty space.  It might be a bit tedious to get the project set up, but you should then be able to save the project and not have the issues you are currently having.

Hope that helps.  Welcome to the world of TextMate!  You'll like it here.  I find you need to spend at least a month with it (as in, 40 hours a week of coding) before you'll really start to enjoy it, and then another 2-6 months with it before you really start to understand the power and flexibility of the bundle system, at which point you become inseparably joined to TM.  So, get past these initial road bumps, and then you'll be in love.

+dru