[TxMt] Re: Edit in TextMate broken in OS 10.6.7?

Fri May 20 03:11:08 UTC 2011

On 20 May 2011, at 02:54, Watts Martin wrote:

> […] Ironically, this was a problem I had with the original "Edit in TextMate," because I tended to *assume* the save was going to take in the other program and closed the TextMate window before checking. […]

Saving should send back the text — the link between the app and TextMate is not robust though, so certain things can break it.

>> 2. QuickCursor seems to lose all formatting from the original context. […]
>
> Interesting; I'm editing this mail this way now and it worked just fine. My suspicion is that it may have to do with the format of the mail: TextMate's input manager may handle converting "rich text" mail to plain text better than QuickCursor does, or perhaps QuickCursor doesn't explicitly request a plain text version if both are available on the clipboard. (My mail client is set to only display the plain text version.)

I went to great lengths “decoding” Mail’s use of HTML for quotes etc. to make it work when sent as text. This isn’t really possible w/o injecting code into Mail.

> When I described the original Edit in TextMate as a hack, it's not because it's bad; it's because I'm *fairly* sure it's doing stuff that Input Managers aren't technically designed to do, which puts it at risk of being broken by changes to the operating system in a way that QuickCursor (to my understanding) isn't.

It certainly is a hack — that’s part of the reason why we made it F/OSS and officially does not support it ;)