[TxMt] shift-right and caret position question

Saiwing Yeung saiwing at berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 1 01:31:36 UTC 2011

I have a weird problem in which the caret moved in an unexpected way. Let's say I have

test<caret>\n

and type command-], it becomes

<tab>tes<caret>t\n

where "<caret>" indicates the position of the cursor and "<tab>" indicates a tab. Basically the "shift-right" command moved the caret left a position unexpectedly. This problem only shows if there is at least a blank line beneath the "test" line. On the other hand, if I have

<tab>test<caret>\n

then I type command-[, then it becomes

test\n
<caret>

where the caret jumps to the next line (while removing the tab correctly). Although it can be argued that this might be preferable under some situations, I would prefer it to remain in the same line. This happens in all syntaxes that I have tried. I renamed my ~/Library/Application Support/Textmate to something else but this is still happening. I imagine that a simple explanation is that the caret pointer stays at the same character count (within the document), without accounting for the newly inserted/removed tab. This might explain both command-] and command-[, but of course it is only a wild conjecture.

Any suggestions? Thanks!