[TxMt] Re: Experimental 64bit- and GC-capable Edit in Textmate

Martin Kühl martin.kuehl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:33:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 19:09, Jenny Harrison <profharrison at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/2/11, at 9:45 , Martin Kühl wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I found some free time today and couldn't think of anything better to do[1]
>> than trying to extend the life support of Edit in TextMate.
>>
>> * The result is available on GitHub[2].
>> * The bundle uses SIMBL[3], so install that first.
>> * Install to `$HOME/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/`.
>> * If you installed the old input manager, remove it.
>>
>> It has seen an /incredible/ lack of testing, but I used it a handful of times
>> and it didn't set my computer on fire.
>>
>> So far I've seen work with TextMate, TextEdit and Xcode, and /not/ work with
>> Safari.
>>
>> Feedback, bug reports and patches welcome, and apologies in advance if I don't
>> get around to responding quickly at the moment.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Martin
>>
>> [1] Well apart from a bath actually, but after that.
>> [2] https://github.com/mkhl/edit-in-textmate/
>> [3] http://culater.net/software/SIMBL/SIMBL.php
>>

> I am eager to try this out.  Here is a feature which would make Edit
> in TextMate truly fly.  Can you link the two files so that if you edit
> either one one of them, the other changes accordingly?  If you can do
> this, then we will be able to use TeXShop to render PDF's, edit in TM,
> and have a decent sync mechanism (since TeXShop has sync).  If the
> cursor was also tied to the same spot in both files, then this process
> would be almost seamless.

The Edit in TextMate mechanism builds on the ODB Editor Suite[1],
which is nicely minimal but doesn't support any kind of “real”
synchronisation, only “file modified” and “file closed” events.

What you envision would need to be a very different beast, and probably
closely tied to both programs kept in sync.

(Also, I thought TextMate supported pdfsync and rendering in TeXShop?)

Martin

[1] http://www.barebones.com/support/develop/odbsuite.html