[TxMt] Re: mate: failed to establish connection with TextMate.

Mon Jul 25 21:08:37 UTC 2011

On 3 Jul 2011, at 22:09, Tamara Temple wrote:

> I do not know why i sometimes get this error. It seems to happen if I am running inside a shell in screen. It has happened other times as well when I'm not in a screen shell.

The mate shell command uses distributed objects to communicate with TextMate.

Apple added some “session isolation” around Leopard, but I think they “fixed” it again in Snow Leopard, so that commands running under a screen session would have access to the “services” that a logged in user should be able to access.

Perhaps you are using a custom build of screen? Unless you use the ‘-w’ option of mate, you can use ‘open -a TextMate’ as an alias for mate (and I think that should work regardless of session context).