[TxMt] Re: Any news on Textmate 2?

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Fri Jul 1 18:12:40 UTC 2011

On Jul 1, 2011, at 12:53 PM, pier25 wrote:

> Brandon M Fryslie wrote:
>>
>> The built in completion (ESC by default) might not be able to be modified
>> (it actually can a little), but almost every language has one or several
>> completion commands in the bundle.  Check out PyRopes, and also the PHP
>> bundle has a couple different great completion commands.
>>

> Well that is my point, you need to use a command.
>
> Xcode gives you automatically the list of possible options, as compared to
> having to press a key and cycle through each possible option.

That is one of the things where I hope TM2 will give us more flexibility. I am hoping that we gain the ability (be it in a script, plugin, whatever) to intercept nearly all events, like mouse clicks (cmd-click, cmd-souble-click, alt-click etc), or cursor moved events, text changed events etc.

That would allow bundles or plugins to add a lot of really cool stuff.

Another 'must' in my book is for bundles to be able to hook into context menus (for things like "Show definition", "Show documentation" etc for the clicked text).

Some way of temporarily marking up code on the fly would also be cool, so that when a compiler/parser/whatever flags a problem in a certain line, we could highlight that line and if the compiler/parser/whatever provides a problem description or (gasp) even fix suggestions (like clang) there would be a way to add UI for that.

Well, we can dream...

Gerd